Sunday, January 25, 2009

Yu Hua

Hey guys,

Don't know if you happened to get past the obnoxious cover of the New York Times Magazine today, but if you did, there's a nice little article about the Chinese writer Yu Hua. He's the real deal, one of my favorite contemporary Chinese writers. I'm particularly fond of his short stories, "The Past And The Punishments" and "This Story Is For Willow" His short stories really push narrative structure and have some amazing, brutal depictions of violence. I'm a bit miffed that I'll be in China when the English translation of his latest novel hits the US, but I guess that's just more incentive to polish up my Chinese.

Here's the article, though you'll probably need a Times account: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/25/magazine/25hua-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment